- BODY [iron, fleas, pencils] Has enough iron to make a nail, contains enough sulfur to kill all fleas on a dog, and has enough carbon to make 900 pencils.
- BODY [standing, spine] The average adult stands 1cm taller in the morning rather than the evening because the cartilage in the spine compresses during the day.
- EYES [blink ] Women blink nearly twice as much as men.The duration is .3 seconds.
- HAIR [hair ] A human being loses 40-100 strands of hair each day.
- NOSE [smell ] The average smell weighs 760 nanograms.
- SKIN [fat, soap ] The human body has enough fat to make seven bars of soap.
- SKIN [bacteria ] Every square inch of the human body has 32 million bacteria on it.
- SKIN [skin ] Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour--about 1.5 pounds. By 70 years of age, an average person will have lost 105 pounds of skin.
- SLEEP [sleep ] The average adult falls asleep seven minutes after turning the light off.
- TEETH [cigarettes ] A person who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day will lose two teeth every 10 years.
- TONGUE [taste buds ] Humans have about 10,000 tastebuds. Some are under the tongue, some are on the inside of the cheeks, and some are on the roof of the mouth. Some can even be found on the lips; these are especially sensitive to salt. By the age of 60, most people have lost half their taste buds.
- WATER [water ] A human drinks about 16,000 gallons of water in a lifetime.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
FYI: Medical Facts - Part 1 - On Average